Thursday, June 17, 2010

Observations of working in Brisbane CBD #1

Whoever designed the Brisbane CBD, I can tell you now, it definitely wasn't a woman.  No woman who has ever worn heels of any description in her life would introduce paving like that above.  This is the most treacherous paving I've come across in my 10+ years of working in CBD's both here and overseas.  I had heel damage on my brand new shoes on Day 1 in this environment.  Unbelievable.  Brisbane City Council needs to sort this out ASAP.  There are some newer paved areas which are much more suitable to heels (large, flat squares) but these things above with all those crazy, deep, windy divets have disaster written all over them.  I almost have to tiptoe when I'm walking around in my heels (and obviously look ridiculous).  

Now that I've had my soapbox moment, on to other observations:
  • Coffee seems more expensive then Sydney, which I find quite surprising.  Maybe I was just on a good wicket, but before I left, I was getting a great flat white for $2.80 in Macquarie Place.  Now I'm paying $3.40 for a coffee and it's good, but not amazing.  Hmph. 
  • There is no cupcake store in the city that I've found.  What is that?  I thought these were mandatory post "Sex & the City" days.  Very handy when you want to buy a little pressie for birthdays at work or for self indulgent purposes.  
  • Great discovery has been "Bagel Nook".  Bagels are awesome and under rated outside of the US (although stay away from the "everything bagel" if they have them).
  • Smokers - lots of them.  Or so it appears to me.  I often have to walk through a haze of smoke to get into my building.  Weird.
  • Early birds.  Most people seem to get to work early.  Like between 7.30am and 8.00am everyday.  I'm generally an early person myself and even I'm struggling (I am the last person to arrive at work at 8.05am).  I wonder if behaviour is influenced by hot Brisbane summers being more pleasant in the morning dictating this behaviour? 
  • Early leavers.  People are out of the office between 5.00pm and 6.00pm from what I can gather (see above "early birds").  Love it.

2 comments:

  1. you guys should start a cupcake store there! clint could make burgers and you could make cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Clint is def keen to flip his own burgers. I would love to open a cafe up here - Brisbane is crying out for them in the suburbs I think. I'm thinking the name "squirrel" would work. Looks like you're having a fab time in the US - very jealous!

    ReplyDelete