Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Native Fauna #1: The Bush Turkey


I've been out walking with Joel nearly everyday in our local area and we have come across lots of examples of native fauna that I thought would be nice to share.

The Bush Turkey

Apparently the true name is Brush Turkey, as I discovered in Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge).  They are "mound-building" birds and you don't want one making it's nest in your backyard, as I've heard they can form an unwanted attachment that's hard to shake.   

I really like them.  I remember seeing loads as a kid on camping trips in National Parks.  It's almost comical seeing them in the urban environment now.  You see them scooting across the road to dodge traffic, jumping fences between houses and I've even seen them cruising around the Brisbane CBD. 

Wikipedia has a "conservation status" of animals and at least we don't have to worry about the ol' Bush Turkey.  They're listed as a species of "Least Concern". 

2 comments:

  1. Are they edible? Get one on the BBQ I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably could eat them, but I doubt they'd be tasty. Probably tough and stringy.

    ReplyDelete