Sunday, March 28, 2010

Small Town Queensland


I spent most of my childhood in small Queensland towns, so it always makes me feel somewhat nostalgic when I visit a place like Dalby. Although, technically I've never actually "lived" in Dalby - my parents moved here 12 years ago while I was at uni in Brisbane. But they're going to be moving to the big smoke themselves soon, so I thought I better get a visit in before it's too late.

Dalby - population ~12,000 people

Famous for - I'm probably not the best person to ask...they used to grow a lot of cotton, but given consistent droughts, this hasn't been that popular of late. Resources seems to be the new industry of choice. I did see a few cotton farms by the roadside.


Infamous for - about 4 pubs have burnt down in Dalby in about the same time my parents have lived here. Sounds pretty suspicious if you ask me.

No trip to Dalby is complete though without a visit to Jimbour House. It's a beautiful historic house just out of town. The architecture looks European (apart from the sandstone) and the gardens remind me of those in the movie "Atonement", with the quaint pool and decorative water fountains. You don't come across a place like this in Australia often, so it was a real treat to spend an afternoon there being treated to harp music.

1 comment:

  1. they used to grow a lot of cotton, but given consistent droughts, this hasn't been that popular of late.

    Loving the dry humour Pen. Need to get myself to Dalby quick before no one I know is left there!

    ReplyDelete