Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Go Card


Like the Oyster card in London, Brisbane has an all inclusive electronic travel "smart" card, with the less ambiguous name, the "go card". It can be used across buses, trains and ferries and you can top up online, like you do for an etag for toll roads. Even if you're not online savvy, you can organise the top up over the counter at a newsagent. Seeing as this technology hasn't been rolled out in Sydney yet, (although I understand they'll get there eventually) I was eager to give it a burl. Had to try about 3 newsagents until I found one that sold them, so not sure why that was a mission (this was at Garden City mind you).

1st usage attempt - on a bus. Worked fine until I forgot to "touch off" when leaving the bus. This results in you being charged a flat fee, $3 for bus and $5 for train. Damn! That could be more than your actual real fare, so I guess I better get into the habit of touching off quick smart.

2nd usage attempt - on a train. I thought the swipe machines were on the train, so I just hopped on. The machines are actually at the stations, so you need to swipe before you get on the train. Double damn! Luckily when I got to Central station the ticket gates were open, so I casually walked on past without touching off, avoiding any fee, whether correct or not.

Haven't tried the card on a ferry yet. That will be the next challenge for....Go Card!

No comments:

Post a Comment