Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Gunshop Cafe


This cafe has been touted the "best cafe in Brisbane" by Delicious magazine for 2009, so there was definitely Dickens-esque great expectations in our visit here. Given that Sydney has such a well renown vibrant cafe scene, I was also keen to compare the "best of" call that Brisvegas could boast to the southern cafes. And I wasn't disappointed. The Gunshop Cafe could rub shoulders with the best of the Mexicans.

The cafe spans what looks like two rustic brick shops in the West End. It was mid week, so we were pretty much guaranteed a seat, which I hear is rare as hen's teeth on weekends, with queuing typical (sounding very reminiscent of Bills in Sydney). The service was really friendly and fast and the menu had loads of items that I wanted to order - brioches, smoked fish, Toulouse sausages, to name a few. I ordered the potato feta hash cakes and Clint couldn't go past the brioche with caramelised banana-bacon combo. I'm loving feta in anything at the moment, so the hash came up trumps and wasn't too rich. The brioche on the other hand looked nothing but rich and Clint polished that off quick smart.

The only small drawback I could point to was the coffee - could have been hotter. But hey, I'm grasping at straws here. I think the vibe would probably be more buzzing on a weekend, but it was still a great breakfast spot I'd visit again. Naturally though, I'll need to sample more Brisbane breakfasts before I can properly comment on whether it's "the best".

2 comments:

  1. Put it on the Richie to do list for BrisVegas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at their website they are actually the 'Australian Cafe of the Year' by Delicious. Geez, the pressure is on.

    Sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete