Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Native Fauna #2: The Pukeko


This true New Zealand native is referred to as a "swamphen".  Nice.  I had never seen one before my recent return to Brisbane.  Not that I can remember anyway.

First encountered them in North Lakes, where my parents live.  My Mum insisted they were "coots".  But having recently been to NZ, she had a decorative plate on her table that was actually a Pukeko and these birds were identical.  Even my NZ-brought-up sister-in-law confirmed they were Pukeko.  Not to be swayed though, my Mum still insists they are "coots".

The Pukeko though is distinct for its blue feathered chest, red legs and red crest/beak action.  I think they're cool.  Joel and I see them when we walk through the park.  One of the reasons I like them is possibly highlighted by this extract from Wiki... "When threatened they will often walk away from danger rather than fly. When they fly, take-offs and landings are clumsy, and short flight distances are preferred."
 
Conservation Status: like the Bush Turkey, they are also listed as a species of "Least Concern".  Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment